Book Recommendations for place descriptive crime or thriller books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just read a kindle book I got some time ago by Peter May. He's a good writer for describing places. In his case the outer Hebrides. That got me thinking about an equivalent for somewhere I might actually know.

So in that light, do you know any fiction thriller or crime books based on Cumbria or North Lancashire? Is there any author doing books set in Cumbria of the quality of Peter May's books?

What about other areas? Ever read a book and found it described somewhere you know such that you know it has been well described?

a.twiddler

Veteran
Other areas? The Two rivers series by Ann Cleeves, set in North Devon. Atmospheric rather than precisely described, but it's a few decades since I lived there. Coincidentally, I must have been at the same school at the same time as the author, though I doubt we were aware of each others' presence.

AndyRM

XOXO
Can't help with North Lancashire, but for Cumbria I've read a couple of Rachel McLean's books and they were good. Michael Craven has a couple set there too which I enjoyed.

Further afield? Ian Rankin, Christopher Brookmyre and Alan Warner all do Scotland very well, likewise Alexander McCall Smith and Irvine Welsh.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Not what you're looking for, but Ruth Rendell (aka Barbara Vine) for crime stories set in London, Reginald Hill for Yorkshire.

Alex H

Legendary Member
I live in Ann Cleeves country (locations for some of the Vera novels) and have recently returned from Shetland (Shetland series). Not being a local and although the place names have been changed, I think the novels and the series give an accurate description of the countryside as it currently is.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've just read a kindle book I got some time ago by Peter May. He's a good writer for describing places. In his case the outer Hebrides. That got me thinking about an equivalent for somewhere I might actually know.

So in that light, do you know any fiction thriller or crime books based on Cumbria or North Lancashire? Is there any author doing books set in Cumbria of the quality of Peter May's books?

What about other areas? Ever read a book and found it described somewhere you know such that you know it has been well described?

My book is also set in the outer hebrides...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CSQ9KX9K

Sequel will be ready about Christmas-ish-time and it has 200% more murders and 328% more fisticuffs.

Top Bottom