Bluemels or Chromoplastic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Never tried bluemels

SKS chromo's on my commuter with 30mm tyres. Easy to fit, good instructions and have been very durable. Therefore get my vote

potsy

Rambler
I have a set of each and they are both fine MP, both were fitted by the lbs so can't really say if either are easier to fit.
Both do a good job though the Blumels don't come with the 'flaps' so I made my own.

The Chromo's came with a flap on the front but not the back, haven't done a rear one for them though.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
The guards on my Tricross were Wide road SKS chromoplastics, they are the classy option.

The blumells are a bit more utilitarian. Both will do the job, depends on what look you are going for.

Never had a problem with the wider (P45 iirc) SKS Chomos but I have with their narrower ones (P35 iirc) but then again the P35 Bluemels have also gave me a problem. The Kinesis came with Bluemels they cracked quickly and their replacements (sent for free by SKS) also failed quickly. The last time they sent out chromos and they cracked quickly too the middle section disappeared completely on a ride. I refitted last years blemels held together by industrial tape and they seem to be holding fine. That doesn't give a definitive answer however as both types failed :wacko:

zigzag

Veteran
i've used both types, and both were fine. however i prefer bluemels, because their shape matches fork arch and tyre shape better (round), and because they are solid black (not transparent black like chromoplastics).

Top Bottom