Bib shorts that fit very well without being too tight or loose around crotch ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guitars and Bikes

Getting a pair of bibs that are a real comfy snug fit around the meat and two veg is a bit of a problem for me, I find the chamois is nearly where it should be, but loose enough to cause chafing, or so tight it literally vanishes up my rear end. I've owned 3 pairs of assos bibs and they fit me amazingly well in size medium. I would never buy assos again though because they went threadbare in no time at all. My bum was so visible in one pair, assos sent me a pair free of charge. The poor folks behind me on club rides ! At sensible prices, who makes comfy bibs with good pad that fit great and last a good while ? Van Rysel fit me like Steptoe wearing long John's with the crotch hanging loose and smaller sizes are like straight jackets. Suggestions much appreciated. Sellers with no quibble returns policies would be handy to know as well.

PaulSB

Squire
I've worn Assos for 25+ years. They are superb and worth every penny. I have noticed one of my current pairs has worn more quickly than I would expect.

Following a crash I recently purchased a pair of Lusso Perform Carbon Pro. As I'm still injured I haven't road tested these yet. The fit is excellent, pad quality looks and feels good. I'm a medium in Assos and the same for Lusso. My only remark is leg length. I'm short, 5' 6", and with Assos always bought the short leg version. Lusso don't offer this option so my new bibs are longer than I'm used to.

After 25 years this is a big step. To date I've worn the Mille bibs and it's predecessors. I've changed because I'm unsure about the new "braces" style Mille design - see image. I prefer the full back design.

Over the last three years Lusso has become my go to kit supplier. Kit quality and customer service is outstanding, second to none, and I've no hesitation in recommending their kit. Jake, who owns the business, is a very creative and imaginative young man.

On customer service two examples. Two winters ago I went down on a diesel spill. My bib longs ripped on the knee and my gilet on the shoulder. The bibs were less than 12 months old and repaired FOC. This is standard on all Lusso kit. The gilet patched for £15.

More recently I was in an RTA. I was cut out of my brand new, worn four times, Paragon jersey. Two buddies knowing how much I like the jersey, and that it was my birthday soon, decided to buy me a new one. The website said sold out, they phoned Lusso and explained the situation. Lusso made a single jersey for me in time for my birthday. Beat that!

See below for braces style I'm not keen on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240724_060118_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240724_060118_Chrome.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Don't discount shorts, with adjustable, clip on braces.

Following a collarbone break, I found my bib shorts were just too tight/painful.

Van Rysel fit me like Steptoe wearing long John's with the crotch hanging loose
Yep, they're a poor imitation of the old B'twin 900 series bibs. Still not sure why they made the bib so ridiculously long and stretchy.

In preparation for the demise of my 900s I bought a pair of Lusso's Perform Carbon but only got two rides in them so far. Initial impression is that the pad stays put, no noticeable saggy-arse syndrome and the bibs are comfortable.

Top Bottom