Best Tyres for good traction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davideff

Regular
Hi, i expect we have had this before...but here goes.
I currently run Panaracer Pasela 700x28 on my Audax, at about 100psi....and they are very good.
Being an Audax I do of course have a dinner plate size gear on the back which would make anything wheel spin, but I'm wondering what tyres people recommend to retain maximum puncture resistance, but provide the maximum traction when tackling silly inclines such as Wrynose & Co. on wet roads? (Good traction coming down the other side is also a good idea of course!)
Cheers, Dave.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I used to get slippage commuting on steep Sheffield hills when using Gatorskins*, but have had no such trouble with Vittoria Rubino Pro Techs, which are the more puncture resistant wet weather version of the Rubino. Switching from 25mm to 28mm was probably part of that. Could you maybe fit a 30mm tyre in your frame?

*Horrid, horrid things.

OP
OP
Davideff

Davideff

Regular
Thanks for that, no, 28 is the max I have this silly idea about riding the "Fred Whitton", and I'll need every bit of traction i can muster!
Cheers, Dave.

Vittoria pave CG's come in 27mm and I found my old cx paves 24mm stuck to the road like the proverbial sh*t to a blanket. Give a rolls royce ride feel to your ride. however the flints and broken glass round here wrecked them fairly quickly.

Top Bottom