Best Spd 2 bolt pedals for road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Veteran
Just got a fancy new road bike and now need some pedals to finish it off. I currently have Shimano m530 on my CX bike and would quite like to continue with same 2 bolt system on my new bike, as i do prefer walking as opposed to the waddling gait that you have to adopt with the SL 3 bolt system when off the bike. However, most 2 bolt pedals seem rather lacking in finesse when compared to the SL pedals. Any recommendations for the "most road-like" 2 bolt spd pedals? What I really want is a pair of pedals that match the look of my new road bike, but offer the convenience of 2 bolt system.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Shimano A600s
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-a600-spd-touring-pedals/
I have these on my nice bike
super wheels.jpg

betty swollocks

large member
I have some A600's on one road bike and some Eggbeaters on the other.
The cleats for the two set ups are slightly different, so this requires two pairs of shoes.
I prefer the Eggbeaters, as you don't have to flip the pedal.

vickster

Legendary Member
M520. Small, neat, 3 colours, under £20

I didn't get on with A600s. In fact I think I swapped with @cyberknight for a pair of M520s

Just too much faffing clipping in, double sided clips for me. They were too small to use with normal shoes too. £60 poorly spent (cost more then)

However,ymmv

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

I didn't get on with A600s. In fact I think I swapped with @cyberknight for a pair of M520s

Just too much faffing clipping in, double sided clips for me. They were too small to use with normal shoes too. £60 poorly spent (cost more then)

However,ymmv
Plenty of people ride on rad bikes with m520s in my club including Phil the Hilll aka can justabout take anyone up hill but on the flat doesnt ride at the front :smile:
For commuting i use M530s atm , double sided with a bigger platform as ifind m520s give me hot foot but we are all different :smile:

Tim Hall

However,ymmv
I used to use Wellgo RC713, as they were (a) inexpensive and (b) looked quite good. However I'm switching to M520, as the RC713 has a habit of coming unscrewed from the spindle and going wobbly.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I have A520s on mine. They are less good if you keep having to clip in and out as they are only single sided, but the thing I like about them is that the big wide pedal means I can use my softer, comfier shoes.

S-Express

What I really want is a pair of pedals that match the look of my new road bike, but offer the convenience of 2 bolt system.

Without knowing what road bike you have, any pedal could potentially 'match the look' of your new bike. In any case, there will be no practical difference in performance between any two bolt pedal systems, so it really is a case of buying one you like the look of.

Top Bottom