Banbury - Claydon - Avon Dassett: local knowledge appreciated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Next Saturday I'm taking the train to Banbury to spend the weekend with friends at Avon Dassett.
Currently my plan is to ride the Brompton from Banbury to Claydon (where I'm staying on Saturday) to drop off a bag and then on to AD.
I'm also considering riding directly to AD.
Friends at AD will provide lifts to return to Claydon and Banbury.

I'd welcome any advice about which route(s) to take (e.g. will the canal towpath be feasible or will it be stop and start with lots of walkers; should I avoid the A423, etc).

Many thanks, StaSS

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
A bit too far north to give you any properly solid advice, however I've ridden the tow path from Oxford to Banbury (in various sittings) and it becomes borderline un-rideable once a few miles north of Oxford (thanks to foliage, narrowness, poor surface and bits falling away into the water).

I struggled heading south into Banbury on the tow path on my Genesis; so I'd suggest it's completely off the menu on a Brompton if the tow paths to the north are comparable. Might be worth a look on Google maps to see if that tells you anything about viability?

On the subject of roads, I've ridden north of Banbury a bit and there are quite a lot of nice B-roads which I'd advise you stick to and take a longer route to avoid the faster A-roads.. can't advise of a specific route but it looks to be a manageble and potentially pleasant ride :smile:

EDIT: Google maps suggests the tow path for Banbury to Claydon by bike, although I'm not sure how much this is based on local knowledge versus the simple assumption that "bike can go on tow path"..

A bit too far north to give you any properly solid advice, however I've ridden the tow path from Oxford to Banbury (in various sittings) and it becomes borderline un-rideable once a few miles north of Oxford (thanks to foliage, narrowness, poor surface and bits falling away into the water).

I struggled heading south into Banbury on the tow path on my Genesis; so I'd suggest it's completely off the menu on a Brompton if the tow paths to the north are comparable. Might be worth a look on Google maps to see if that tells you anything about viability?

On the subject of roads, I've ridden north of Banbury a bit and there are quite a lot of nice B-roads which I'd advise you stick to and take a longer route to avoid the faster A-roads.. can't advise of a specific route but it looks to be a manageble and potentially pleasant ride :smile:

EDIT: Google maps suggests the tow path for Banbury to Claydon by bike, although I'm not sure how much this is based on local knowledge versus the simple assumption that "bike can go on tow path"..

Many thanks for this information, wafter, it's very helpful.

Willd

Guru
The A423 isn't too bad, fairly wide and straight with mostly a 40 mph limit for the small bit you'd be on. Turn off at Little Bourton, then Great Bourton, Cropredy, Claydon, much more scenic :smile:

Then from Claydon go back up to the A423 for a tiny bit and across to Farnborough, then either take the lower road, or if you want a bit more of a challenge the upper one towards Burton Dassett and then down Avon Dassett hill :bicycle:

Ignore the sign, if you have good brakes :whistle:

1719317078079.png

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The only thing I can add is that The Dog and Gun is the cheapest pub in Banbury!

There's a reason for that...

Top Bottom