Badly secured bikes what u've seen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thought I'd start a thread for this. Best to be non-specific about locations, if you add your own examples.

Today I took the female parental unit to the hospital so they could extract some blood.

We wound up with about fifty minutes to kill, on account I got lucky with parking. We sipped a beverage and nommed some cake by a bench in the vicinity of an isolated bike shed.

In the shed was a very shiny/clean blue Brompton. The front wheel was secured with one of the cheap combination cable locks. The body of the bike was secured with a kryptoflex and a padlock that had a very long and skinny shackle.

It's a sad reflection on society, that I don't think I'm alone in thinking that bike is inadequately secured. I might have tried suggesting a better lock to the owner had I seen them return, depending on how approachable they looked.

Very low hanging fruit indeed for someone wanting to acquire a Brompton without paying for it.

Brandane

Legendary Member
1728319577873.jpeg

I have seen decent bikes locked up with a really good U-Lock

but they must have been in a hurry as the lock was around the crossbar but had missed the metal hoop that it should have been round as well

also - last time I was in Manchester I was walking back to the station to come home and I noticed a wheel securely tied to a lamppost - no bike, just the wheel!!!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I took the picture below on Gloucester green in Oxford when I was a student (so about two decades ago) - it achieved mild internet fame and for a while could be found in many places, often with various proto-meme captions :smile:

bike-lock-fail.jpg

I found that actual file with a web search and it warms my heart that it's still out there in the wild, all these years later. Probably unlike the bike..

Brandane

Legendary Member
I really don't know what the owner of this bike was thinking! :whistle:

View attachment 748425

What else could I have done? That area is a well known hot spot for bike theft!

Sloth

Perhaps we need another thread on the most ‘over the top’ or disproportionate bike security you’ve seen?

Top Bottom