Another Newbie from Kent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

camperdown9

Hi

A few years ago I was 22 stone, over time I have lost a lot of that weight. Got down to 12 stone at one point and now am around 14 stone. The problem is that as well as dieting I need to exercise which is something I don't really like.

Anyway a couple of weeks ago we were on holiday in France and there were some Treak 4100 mountain bikes. So after being egged on by a friend we took them out. The first cycle was 6kms down a track, then the next day we did the same trip again. Then a 20 km road cycle. By the end of the week, I had ordered a bike for the UK and my longest ride had been 46kms (road).

Last Monday my new bike (Giant Roam 2) arrived and and I have been out pretty much everyday cycling a 10km circuit (all on road). Yesterday and today I have managed to do the same circuit twice (20kms each day). I live in a fairly rural location and there isn't that much traffic.

I am sure I don't cycle correctly. I tend to cycle up hill and coast down hill, I keep the left hand gear thing on 2 and move the right between 4 and 9. I am told that on a hill I should drop the gear way down so that I peddle more but its not as difficult. Personally I find that really difficult, and prefer to peddle harder rather than with less resistance and faster.

Not sure that I have bought the right bike, would I of been better of buying a road bike?

Anyway thats me. I having fun and hopefully burning fat.

Alex

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:No you haven't bought the wrong bike you've got the one you wanted, however it might be worth changing the tyres for a smoother road type for now then changing back as the weather gets grotty, at least you're out and enjoying cycling, well done:biggrin:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: Alex.

Looking at the spec on Giant's website it looks like that should be fine to start with.:thumbsup: Lock the suspension forks when you're on road as it saves a bit of energy, especially when climbing hills.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong with the gears - most of my riding is done in the middle ring at the front, only dropping to the small ring for seriously steep hills or shifting to the big ring for the fast sections. You'll find yourself using a wider choice of gears as you get into it and ride further afield. Just avoid "cross chaining" - running from the big ring at the front to the big sprocket at the back or small ring to small sprocket as this causes excessive wear.

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi

A few years ago I was 22 stone, over time I have lost a lot of that weight. Got down to 12 stone at one point and now am around 14 stone. The problem is that as well as dieting I need to exercise which is something I don't really like.

Anyway a couple of weeks ago we were on holiday in France and there were some Treak 4100 mountain bikes. So after being egged on by a friend we took them out. The first cycle was 6kms down a track, then the next day we did the same trip again. Then a 20 km road cycle. By the end of the week, I had ordered a bike for the UK and my longest ride had been 46kms (road).

Last Monday my new bike (Giant Roam 2) arrived and and I have been out pretty much everyday cycling a 10km circuit (all on road). Yesterday and today I have managed to do the same circuit twice (20kms each day). I live in a fairly rural location and there isn't that much traffic.

I am sure I don't cycle correctly. I tend to cycle up hill and coast down hill, I keep the left hand gear thing on 2 and move the right between 4 and 9. I am told that on a hill I should drop the gear way down so that I peddle more but its not as difficult. Personally I find that really difficult, and prefer to peddle harder rather than with less resistance and faster.

Not sure that I have bought the right bike, would I of been better of buying a road bike?

Anyway thats me. I having fun and hopefully burning fat.

Alex
Oh you have soooooooooo caught the bug! Congratulations!

I also wouldn't worry too much about gears, you will use what you find suits you. Pushing away with higher gears will build muscle so you might not lose weight but it will all turn into good solid flesh instead of fat! Also, who told you that coasting downhill was bad? It's the WHEEEEE! moment - the reward for having got to the top! And you will probably find you want to use your lower gears when you go further afield and find some steeper hills...

Top Bottom