An unintentional cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyingblind

Regular
Hello from Devon, edge of Dartmoor.

We bought our youngest a bike for his birthday a year or so back then found I had to get one for myself to keep up. Then one for my daughter to tag along too and now sorting one out for another son who is showing signs of wanting to join in. I seem to be collecting old bikes from Ebay and Gumtree, a Kona Fire Mountain, a Jamis Durango and now building one from bits based on a Saracen Xray frame. I find I'm enjoying it immensely especially as I am in desperate need of the exercise.

:welcome: you seem to have very quickly picked up on the policy of bike ownership, ie: 1 is rarely ever enough ;) :okay:

OP
OP
F

Flyingblind

Regular
A lesson learned late in life, one bike may rarely be enough but more than one child probably is. The reason I peddle over the Moors rather than float in an open top Bentley. At least bikes are an excuse to tinker in the shed.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
:welcome:

You will certainly be getting that much-needed exercise round Dartmoor! I am coming down there with my bike for a holiday in September and have been checking the local maps - hilly, hilly, hilly!

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Hello fellow builder and :welcome:

OP
OP
F

Flyingblind

Regular
Thanks for all your warm welcomes. Hope you like Dartmoor, Colin. I love it. Some hills can be a little steepish but at least only half are up, all the rest are down.
I enjoy the building almost as much as the riding, Threevok. The Saracen started because my daughter bought a pink tank of a full suspension MTB from Halfords that was too heavy for her to ride so she gave up. I got the Saracen frame for a few quid thinking I could swap the bits over. Of course it was never going to happen as the steering and seat posts were the wrong size and all the other bits were nasty pressed steel. All I used in the end were the saddle and front wheel. I got a Trek rigid front fork for less than the postage. Deore hollow tech cranks and BB. Deore XT mechs and found a Shimano rear wheel kicking around the garden that just needed a new cassette as the original was a ball of rust. With all the other bits I doubt I've spent £150 in total and it's looking a nice light bike perfect for hacking around the local lanes and cycle paths with a little gentle off roading. I was thinking when the build is finished I might strip it down and get it powder coated but then again I like the way it looks and coating would rather miss the point of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom