Ali or steel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wingnuts

Hi,

I've joined the C2W scheme and will have £1000 to spend on a bike, shoes and helmet, the other bits and bobs I have.

A friend at work who is a keen cyclist says that a steel frame is better, is this the case?

Thanks in advance.

Wingnuts

BSRU

A Human Being
I doubt you would notice any real difference, the advantage of an Alu frames bike is it would be better equipped than a similar priced steel frame.
I have Alu bike and a steel bike, I enjoy riding both.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hi,

I've joined the C2W scheme and will have £1000 to spend on a bike, shoes and helmet, the other bits and bobs I have.

A friend at work who is a keen cyclist says that a steel frame is better, is this the case?

Thanks in advance.

Wingnuts

How wonderfully non-descriptive of him/her!

DWiggy

Über Member
I had a steel bike loved it but was very retro with shifters on the downtube, I now have an ali bike with carbon forks and 105 gears and have beaten all of my old PB's and thoroughly enjoy riding it....and its doesnt rust!

OP
OP
W

Wingnuts

Rob,

to be fair the non-descriptive bit was me. He said that steel these days can be as light as ali, it's much stronger and doesn't flex after 10 years or so. Steel hold there value better and they feel more stable. He suggested columus foco, Reynolds 853 or Truetemper platinum OX.

Can anyone tell me the pro's and con's of both please, just short bullet points would suffice. At the end of the day I'll get it from my lbs and try a few, just wanted to put the question out there as a sounding board.

Thanks for all the replies thus far.

Wingnuts

Top Bottom