A57 Snake pass now open to cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

almostvegancyclist

I don't live in the area any more but when plotting a route from Manchester to Sheffield, Komoot automatically takes me down A57. I remember there was some controversy because they banned cycling there, then Cycling UK stepped up to demand evidence that it's more dangerous than other roads. Then the road was closed to all traffic but there was a mass cycle up there or something? So what's the status of that road now, is it open to cyclists?

13 rider

Guru
As far as I'm aware you can cycle it , @nickyboy is a local hopefully he will drop in to give a definitive answer

bobzmyunkle

Über Member
You can ride snake pass. Glossop to Sheffield direction is ok (for me) at the weekend. Less traffic and you have more speed on the twistier side as it's downhill. Not sure I'd do it midweek or in the opposite direction.
The alternative is to go via chapel en le frith.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Snake Pass is open to all traffic except heavy goods vehicles. There are two sections on the Ladybower side (as opposed to the Glossop side) that are controlled by traffic lights due to landslips but these seem to be semi-permanent
I've done the Snake Pass climb about 150 times. The rule of thumb is that it's best to avoid main commute times (midweek 7am-9am and 4.30-6.30pm) but outside these it's a pleasure. At weekends it's fine at any time and motorcyclists are never a problem

Top Bottom