7 speed hub gear stuck and slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Gears were slipping a tiny bit, and now the shifter is stuck going between positions 1 and 2. In position 2 it stays in a gear maybe somewhere in the middle of the range, and in position 1 it seems to slip between two or three different gears, unless what I think is the third gear is just the effect of the slipping. None of them feel like the easiest gear.

Anything I can check without opening it up, and if I open it up what might I find and how expensive might it be?

All uphill

Still rolling along
Gears were slipping a tiny bit, and now the shifter is stuck going between positions 1 and 2. In position 2 it stays in a gear maybe somewhere in the middle of the range, and in position 1 it seems to slip between two or three different gears, unless what I think is the third gear is just the effect of the slipping. None of them feel like the easiest gear.

Anything I can check without opening it up, and if I open it up what might I find and how expensive might it be?

What make and model gears are they?

Can you post some photos so we can help you?

Show us the shifter on the handlebars, the cable where it goes into the hub ,
the rear hub itself.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
What make and model gears are they?

Can you post some photos so we can help you?

Show us the shifter on the handlebars, the cable where it goes into the hub ,
the rear hub itself.

Shimano Nexus 7.

This is the handlebar in position 2. When I try to change to 3, it feels like the little metal nose that sticks out gets stuck at the bottom of its travel, it doesn’t actually feel like the force is getting as far as the hub.

And a still photo of where the gear cable ferrule is in position 2, about horizontal so level with the bottom of the chain guard. Position 1 is a little further up into the chain guard.

I’ve never played with a hub gear before, but could something have slipped such that the cable motion is maxed out on the hub in one direction and in the other direction on the twist shift, hence the limited range of motion?

Attachments

• IMG_4862.jpeg
    IMG_4862.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4863.jpeg
    IMG_4863.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
I hadn't adjusted anything on it, it's a rental bike so I was panicking that I'd broken it and they'd make me fork out for a new hub - turns out the little metal nose that was sticking out on the twist mechanism, I pushed that back in and now everything is working exactly as it was this morning! Glad it's fixed but a little unhappy that I only thought of trying that a few hundred metres before home, rather than 21km ago!

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Cable related things are far more likely to cause problems than internal hubs going wrong. I've had a couple of bikes with Nexus 7 gears and haven't come across this before.

Do you know what that little metal thing that stuck out of the lever mechanism is for? I'm guessing that's just for cable pulling, and isn't necessarily related to the type of gears (derailleur or hub)?

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
It's the cable.

Ah okay, that might actually make sense, if I changed down too far too quickly (new to hub gears) and the slack pushed the ferrule through the slot on the levers it would have jammed there and the weird tension have put the shifting out of alignment. Glad it was a cheap fix anyway!

Top Bottom