28 or even 29 tooth cog on campag short cage derailleur?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello everyone. I'm running 9-speed Campagnolo components on all three of my road bikes which are currently fitted with 13-26 teeth cassettes and Campag Veloce SHORT-CAGE rear-derailleurs. Due to long-covid fatigue I've been wanting to gain an extra two or three teeth for largest cog at rear in order to be able to better tackle the hills here in Eat Sussex, and I see that Campag offer a 14-28, while Miche Primato offer Campag-compatible cassettes with either 13-28 or 12-29 (both 9-speed). The old information was that Campag short-cage derailleurs were only suitable for a maximum rear cog of 26 teeth, however that was before the availability of 28 and 29 teeth cassettes for 9-speed. Do any of you have real-world experience of using a 28 or 29 tooth cog with a Campag SHORT-CAGE rear-derailleur? I've seen some people saying that it's feasible, and of course I'll probably need to fit new and slightly longer chains, but does this lead to any issues with smooth shifting? One other option is to fit one of those Wolf Tooth Road Link (other brands are also available) to extend the rear derailleur a tad. They bolt on to the frame dropout and then the derailleur bolts onto the extender. I'm not wanting to purcase medium-cage derailleurs for my bikes unless absolutely necessary due to cost. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated
:)

Top Bottom