1973 Mercian King of Mercia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rhythm Thief

Legendary Member
My main bike, bought a few years ago as an anonymous ("possibly 531") rattle can paint job frameset for fifty quid in order to rob the forks off it for another project. When it arrived I spotted that there was a Campagnolo Record headset fitted, and when I stripped the forks off it I found matching numbers on BB shell and steerer tube. There was also a receipt for a respray rolled up inside the seat tube. The lugwork was also of obvious quality, so I ditched my plans to nick the forks for a much inferior frame and researched this bike instead. It took a while but I narrowed it down to possibly being a Mercian, and when I sent it to them for a respray they confirmed it. I spent a bloody fortune on having some braze ons added and a refin and built it up with Campagnolo 9 speed and a Schmidt hub dynamo. It's my main bike, and it's pictured here immediately after a heavy general overhaul and a good clean; it's not usually as immaculate as this! This is the one I'd keep if I could only have one.

IMG20240806083558.jpg

IMG20240806072254.jpg

All uphill

Still rolling along
My main bike, bought a few years ago as an anonymous ("possibly 531") rattle can paint job frameset for fifty quid in order to rob the forks off it for another project. When it arrived I spotted that there was a Campagnolo Record headset fitted, and when I stripped the forks off it I found matching numbers on BB shell and steerer tube. There was also a receipt for a respray rolled up inside the seat tube. The lugwork was also of obvious quality, so I ditched my plans to nick the forks for a much inferior frame and researched this bike instead. It took a while but I narrowed it down to possibly being a Mercian, and when I sent it to them for a respray they confirmed it. I spent a bloody fortune on having some braze ons added and a refin and built it up with Campagnolo 9 speed and a Schmidt hub dynamo. It's my main bike, and it's pictured here immediately after a heavy general overhaul and a good clean; it's not usually as immaculate as this! This is the one I'd keep if I could only have one.

View attachment 740283

View attachment 740282

I like everything about your bike.

If I found one like that in my size i'd have to buy it.

Gillstay

Veteran
Very nice. Impressed.

Jameshow

Veteran

View attachment 740283

View attachment 740282

What a catch! For 10 pints of beers!!

Top Bottom