10 Speed Carbolite Peugeot and Dawes Discovery 601

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Malkin

Veteran
I have a hankering for a shiny new carbon road bike, but there's no space in my garage so I need to move on a couple of the present fleet to liberate space and raise some funds for the new one.

I thought I'd post them up on here first so CCers can have first refusal before they go on eBay.

First up is my old carbolite Peugeot 10 speed, nothing special, but very clean and original. Owned by me from new (in 1987) It has a few scrapes and scratches to the frame of the sort you'd expect to find on a 25+ year old bike, but nothing too nasty, and mechanically it is all running perfectly.

IMG_3421.jpg
IMG_3421.jpg IMG_3422.jpg IMG_3423.jpg IMG_3426.jpg IMG_3428.jpg IMG_3434.jpg IMG_3431.jpg IMG_3430.jpg IMG_3432.jpg IMG_3429.jpg

It's a 56cm / 22" frame, so suited to someone 5'9" to 6"

Original Weinmann brakes, complete with 'suicide' levers for that authentic 80's experience, and Sachs-Huret derailleurs and shifters.

Wheels are the original, Rigida alloy rims on Maillard hubs, but they have been re-laced with stainless steel spokes (because the original galvanized ones weren't shiny enough :becool:)

There is plenty of life left in the tyres and it has a full set of SKS Chromoplastic mudguards.

Brake and gear cables, chain and bar tape are all brand new, all bearings are smooth, nothing is seized, and the wheels are true.

I'd like £100 for it, and collection from Northwich in Cheshire would be preferred so you can see and try before you buy, but I can box it up and post it if necessary which will cost about £25 extra.

OP
OP
Steve Malkin

Steve Malkin

Veteran
Next up is something a bit more modern - My 2010 Dawes discovery 601

IMG_3437.jpg

IMG_3437.jpg IMG_3438.jpg IMG_3439.jpg IMG_3440.jpg IMG_3441.jpg IMG_3442.jpg IMG_3443.jpg IMG_3444.jpg IMG_3445.jpg

This is a lovely bike in excellent condition. It was the top model in the 'Discovery' line from Dawes.

Described as a 'hybrid' which seems to cover a very wide range of bike types, but I would say this is definitely at the 'road' end of the spectrum rather than the 'mountain' end.
It is a nice light bike, 9 speed triple with carbon fibre forks and hydraulic disk brakes but the wheels are chunky enough to handle towpaths and the like with no problem.

It's an 18" frame, I'm 5'9" with short legs (30" inseam) and it's set up just right for me in the pictures, so would fit a few inches either way.

It is set up as shown, exactly as delivered, and the full spec can be found here: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/dawes/discovery-601-2011-hybrid-bike-ec022667#features

I also have a full set of SKS chromoplastic mudguards in black for this bike which would turn it into a very practical commuter machine.

Pictured with the original flat pedals and plastic toe clips, which are a good half way house between flats and clipless, but could be supplied with a set of clipless pedals also.

Cosmetically, there are a few minor chips and scuffs, but nothing nasty, just normal 'wear and tear'

I'd like £300 Edit: now £250 for this, again collection preferred, but could box up and courier for about £25 extra.

Last edited:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I have a hankering for a shiny new carbon road bike, but there's no space in my garage so I need to move on a couple of the present fleet to liberate space and raise some funds for the new one.

I thought I'd post them up on here first so CCers can have first refusal before they go on eBay.

First up is my old carbolite Peugeot 10 speed, nothing special, but very clean and original. Owned by me from new (in 1987) It has a few scrapes and scratches to the frame of the sort you'd expect to find on a 25+ year old bike, but nothing too nasty, and mechanically it is all running perfectly.

View attachment 38060
View attachment 38060 View attachment 38061 View attachment 38062 View attachment 38063 View attachment 38064 View attachment 38065 View attachment 38066 View attachment 38067 View attachment 38068 View attachment 38069

It's a 56cm / 22" frame, so suited to someone 5'9" to 6"

Original Weinmann brakes, complete with 'suicide' levers for that authentic 80's experience, and Sachs-Huret derailleurs and shifters.

Wheels are the original, Rigida alloy rims on Maillard hubs, but they have been re-laced with stainless steel spokes (because the original galvanized ones weren't shiny enough :becool:)

There is plenty of life left in the tyres and it has a full set of SKS Chromoplastic mudguards.

Brake and gear cables, chain and bar tape are all brand new, all bearings are smooth, nothing is seized, and the wheels are true.

I'd like £100 for it, and collection from Northwich in Cheshire would be preferred so you can see and try before you buy, but I can box it up and post it if necessary which will cost about £25 extra.
I'm so tempted, but the Mrs would kill me and I've no room for it in the garage.
It is very nice though.

OP
OP
Steve Malkin

Steve Malkin

Veteran
do you really only want £100 for that pug!!? I am so tempted!

Well you could always pay a bit more for it if you like!!
I think the asking price is a fair one, I've had it a long time, so it certainly doesn't owe me anything, and I just need the space.

I'm surprised that there's been much more interest in the Pug than the Dawes, which by any objective measure is a far more competent and capable machine, but I guess it doesn't have the 'nostalgia' factor of the Peugeot and a lot of people (me included!) do seem to attach a premium to that.

In the interests of full disclosure and just in case my piccies are making it look better than it actually is, I would like to point out the major cosmetic marks on the bike, because I'd hate anyone to buy this thinking it was totally mint and then be disappointed.

The most obvious one is on the top tube as shown below.
toptube.jpg

Less obvious is the fact that there is some paint loss on the rear chain stays (from me carrying a lock wrapped round the seatpost :blush:) which is now covered with reflective tape:
IMG_0132.jpg IMG_0134.jpg
(The second image is taken with flash to try and show how that tape 'lights up' when illuminated, I think it's good stuff to put on chain stays even if you're not trying to cover up scratches!

Other than that, there is a scrape on the drive side chainstay where the chain has shipped a few times, and a small badly touched up patch on the opposite chainstay (the paint on this frame is very difficult to try and find a colour match for)

IMG_0135.jpg IMG_0136.jpg
Oh, and those green 'chevron' stickers on the top tube are probably covering up a scratch as well, but they've been on so long I can't remember for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_3425.jpg
    IMG_3425.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 6

lip03

Über Member
Well you could always pay a bit more for it if you like!!
I think the asking price is a fair one, I've had it a long time, so it certainly doesn't owe me anything, and I just need the space.

I'm surprised that there's been much more interest in the Pug than the Dawes, which by any objective measure is a far more competent and capable machine, but I guess it doesn't have the 'nostalgia' factor of the Peugeot and a lot of people (me included!) do seem to attach a premium to that.

In the interests of full disclosure and just in case my piccies are making it look better than it actually is, I would like to point out the major cosmetic marks on the bike, because I'd hate anyone to buy this thinking it was totally mint and then be disappointed.

The most obvious one is on the top tube as shown below.
View attachment 38344

Less obvious is the fact that there is some paint loss on the rear chain stays (from me carrying a lock wrapped round the seatpost :blush:) which is now covered with reflective tape:
View attachment 38345 View attachment 38346
(The second image is taken with flash to try and show how that tape 'lights up' when illuminated, I think it's good stuff to put on chain stays even if you're not trying to cover up scratches!

Other than that, there is a scrape on the drive side chainstay where the chain has shipped a few times, and a small badly touched up patch on the opposite chainstay (the paint on this frame is very difficult to try and find a colour match for)

View attachment 38347 View attachment 38348
Oh, and those green 'chevron' stickers on the top tube are probably covering up a scratch as well, but they've been on so long I can't remember for sure.

well those few minor defects certainly haven't clouded my view at all a very nice machine and if i had a spare £125 I would be snapping it up as at 22 inches its even my size! DAMN YOU PAYDAY! :banghead:

Top Bottom