What's wrong with rusty spokes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Both.

Gatters

I wouldn't say a lot more likely to break, maybe just a little more likely and broken spokes isn't a common occurrence in my book
anyhow, theres degrees of rusty isn't there, has the bike been in the sea for a number of years?

Rough, unsightly and very likely to break. They are rough because they are zinc-plated. Unsightly because they are rusty and likely to break because they are made from coat hanger wire.
Proper spokes are made from stainless steel, cold forged and plenty strong and durable and pretty.

Mile195

Veteran
They might be a little more likely to break, but they're not all suddenly going to break at once. So if the wheel is still true and you don't mind the look of them, I wouldn't worry about it and just carry on riding your bike. The way to make sure they break is to start messing with them when you don't need to.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Rough, unsightly and very likely to break. They are rough because they are zinc-plated. Unsightly because they are rusty and likely to break because they are made from coat hanger wire.
Proper spokes are made from stainless steel, cold forged and plenty strong and durable and pretty.

Anyone else remember when stainless first became available? They looked nice, but that was about all. They were brittle and unreliable. Rustless spokes (as they were known), on the other hand, did the job properly (and still do), even if the zinc coating is less than perfect. Mind you, I have seen an ancient bike that had been hung up in a garage for many years, and many of the spokes rusted right through like sea-side railings.

Anyone else remember when stainless first became available? They looked nice, but that was about all. They were brittle and unreliable. Rustless spokes (as they were known), on the other hand, did the job properly (and still do), even if the zinc coating is less than perfect. Mind you, I have seen an ancient bike that had been hung up in a garage for many years, and many of the spokes rusted right through like sea-side railings.
Unfortunately I was there. The first stainless were rubbish but the supplier, Sandvik soon managed to figure out the problems and supplied vacuum degassed stainless wire to the manufacturers.
It is not the zinc coating itself that is so bad but the poor steel underneath. I say that with reference to cheaper bikes only, I have no experience with older performance bike spokes with zinc plating. However, I remember chromed spokes. These were super shiny and basically designed as showpieces for those velodrome races where the riders would show off their shaven and polished legs as well as shiny wheels. These were not good spokes.

Top Bottom