Thinking of a little weekend sojourn to Marseille

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Bouillabaisse. Ricard.
url=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

url=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm going to SoF in about a month, we are skipping Marseille as not really interested in a big city with a port - lots of places very reachable by train - Montpellier (where we're actually flying to, BA from Gatwick), Avignon, Arles, Aix, Cannes, Nice.
Why have you settled on Marseille? Rugby WC will have some matches there so might be best to avoid unless that's a reason for going! https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023/matches

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I'm going to SoF in about a month, we are skipping Marseille as not really interested in a big city with a port - lots of places very reachable by train - Montpellier (where we're actually flying to, BA from Gatwick), Avignon, Arles, Aix, Cannes, Nice.
Why have you settled on Marseille?

Because it's like Liverpool, but with better weather :-)

geocycle

Legendary Member
Marseille is a classic port city, amazing history back to the Phoenicians lovely old harbour and some good museums. It also has areas you need to be careful of, and streets where hotels rooms are available by the hour. Some interesting architecture including Gare St. Charles and at the other end of the spectrum things by Le Corbusier. We used to live in Salon de Provence. I’d recommend getting out to the Calanques and places like Aix or Cassis.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Marseille is a classic port city, amazing history back to the Phoenicians lovely old harbour and some good museums. It also has areas you need to be careful of, and streets where hotels rooms are available by the hour. Some interesting architecture including Gare St. Charles and at the other end of the spectrum things by Le Corbusier. We used to live in Salon de Provence. I’d recommend getting out to the Calanques and places like Aix or Cassis.

I went round the area en velo a few years back, basing myself in Avignon, so I've been out and about a bit.

This is more about, erm, "lifestyling". I went to Marseille on that trip, too, but only for the day.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
+1 for both Aix and Cassis, visited both a couple of months ago.

Having said that, I did enjoy a half day in Marseille as well (despite the rain!).

Top Bottom