Signing in from the Forest of Dean

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kit-small-wheels

Hello fellow cyclists, I'm an ancient (66 currently) Moultoneer from West Gloucestershire and I've just found this site.

Been cycling since I was 11, and discovered Moultons in 1962 after riding a Demonstrator for a few days back then. I was the Secretary of the Oxford DA CTC in those days, usually riding a Viking, and blew the rest of the clubs mind when I did the Sunday run on the Moulton! :smile:

I ordered a Safari off the Moulton stand at the '62 Cycle Show, and took delivery around Easter '63. Since then I've not ridden a conventional wheeled bike more than about a mile. These days I'm not a 'serious' cyclist, 30 miles or so is as much as I could manage and then in company with others on the annual MBC Bradford rides.

My normal ride is still the Safari, but it's not exactly the same bike any more. The Moulton factory replaced my rear forks early on, due to manaufacturing issues, and some plank stole the centre portion of the frame from my back garden just as I was about to take it for a respray in the '70s. It's been replaced with a '65 centre frame, but the bars, front forks and other small bits are still the same as originally.

I've updated the rear hub to a Sturmy 5-2 with a Conroy 4 block and a Huret Alvit 1900 rear mech, and it's currently using the Williams AB77 chainset from my Speedsix. Wheels are a mixture of the Speedsix' front Milremo rim and a 1990 Moulton 17" alloy rear. I also have two Moulton Majors, one is our shopping bike and the other is a disaster area.......... :rolleyes:

Piccies of the Safari are posted in a 'Biggest Chainring' thread in the Photos section.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi Kit

Sounds like CC has itself another valued resource for info :biggrin:

Welcome aboard,
SD

Top Bottom