Shattered left leg.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Well as far as I can gather there are two steel rods pinned to the two shin leg bones and I’m not sure how much of those have been removed. I get the names the wrong way round. Also there are metal plates either side of the knee and at least two hinges in it possibly three. To be honest I’m afraid to ask.

I can understand you not wanting to know the details but I think in the long run it'd be better if you know. If you have to discuss your surgery with someone in the future you need to have the details as they might not have access to your records.

Get as much physio as you can from the NHS even if you have to keep nagging. There are long waits in this area. And do the exercises they give you.

Good luck!

CXRAndy

Guru
I shattered my Calcaneus (heel) from a 10ft ladder fall 8 years ago. Spent 16 weeks off my feet. Then 2 months learning to walk. I was extremely lucky in my recovery

I used a turbo indoors,which really helped my rehabilitation.

8 years on I don't have too many issues, apart from standing can cause me to limp the next day. Cycling, I can do with absolutely no issues at all

simongt

Guru
Broke my right femur up by the hip joint in a rear ender five years ago. I have a 40cm. titanium pin ( certainly looking forward to the security scanner at the airport next holiday - ! :laugh: ) inside said femur.
As a result of; excellent surgery, a cracking physio and self determination, no ill effects to date with any physical activities. :okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Broke my right femur up by the hip joint in a rear ender five years ago. I have a 40cm. titanium pin ( certainly looking forward to the security scanner at the airport next holiday - ! :laugh: ) inside said femur.
As a result of; excellent surgery, a cracking physio and self determination, no ill effects to date with any physical activities. :okay:

I sometimes set off Sainsbury's scanner with my collar bone.it shouldn't but sometimes.....

tyred

Legendary Member
It sounds like your injuries are worse than mine but I shattered my left ankle after losing a fight with a Citroen.

I had a fairly extensive lump of metal, a lot of screws and a six inch scar. It all went very well, all things considered although my local hospital had referred me to a highly qualified senior ankle surgeon in a hospital 160 miles away which made all the checkup awkward.

After I got the plaster cast off and was allowed to slowly start putting weight on it, I progressed really quickly and I was walking a few miles every day, albeit it slowly.

The physio very quickly had me on an exercise bike and I bought a cheap turbo trainer so I could do it at home. I found the turbo boring and very quickly started venturing for short rides on my Brompton. Nine months after my operation, I felt confident enough to venture on a leisurely tour. I had originally been told that I'd be using crutches for about two years.

Definitely, stay positive. As a cyclist, you are fitter than most people so that aids recovery. I was told it was my fitness level that meant I recovered much better than they originally expected. I have no I'll effects from it now but I was told I have an 85% chance of developing arthritis in the dodgy ankle in the next few years but so far so good. What has happened is a sore back in the past month or so which has probably been caused by the strength imbalance between my legs

Mick Mudd

Über Member
The human body is very resilient, it depends on the injury of course but its worth remembering Lemond was shot in the back but came back to win two more Td France's..:smile:

WIKI- LeMond won the Tour de France in 1986......LeMond was accidentally shot with pellets and seriously injured while hunting in 1987. Following the shooting, he underwent two surgeries and missed the next two Tours.
At the 1989 Tour, LeMond completed an improbable comeback to win in dramatic fashion on the race's final stage. He successfully defended his Tour title the following year.

Slick

Guru
The human body is very resilient, it depends on the injury of course but its worth remembering Lemond was shot in the back but came back to win two more Td France's..:smile:

WIKI- LeMond won the Tour de France in 1986......LeMond was accidentally shot with pellets and seriously injured while hunting in 1987. Following the shooting, he underwent two surgeries and missed the next two Tours.
At the 1989 Tour, LeMond completed an improbable comeback to win in dramatic fashion on the race's final stage. He successfully defended his Tour title the following year.

Great documentary on Netflix telling the entire story.

Well worth a watch.

Top Bottom