Royal Mail Bike: Redux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Following casper-d's lead mrs wheres_my_beard and I have taken some steps to rejuvenate her 1980's Royal Mail bike.

This is a work in progress.

This is the "before" picture; we had only changed the handlebars at this point, as the chrome on the original ones was in really bad shape.
DSC00627-1.jpg

So far we have replaced the original hard red handlebar and brake lever grips with some nice soft leather covers, home-made for the princely some of £12.37 (£12 for the leather and 37p for the the thread).

DSC01330.jpg

DSC01328.jpg

DSC01327.jpg

We're not sure what to do for the end plugs just yet, but we love how they've turned out.

We've already found some really a really nice NOS rod brake set to give the brake system a much needed shiney lift. Mrs w_m_b is especially looking forward to (me) getting these on the bike next week when they arrive.

There are loads of other bits and pieces that need doing and I'll update this as they get done:

- Replace tyres (Creme/White 650b tyres, possibly on better condition Westwood rims)
- Replace the saddle (probably a Brooks, probably honey coloured to match the grips)
- Replace the pedals (Shiney rat trap style pedal)
- Remove and possibly replace the mudguards with ones that fit properly
- Replace crank/ chainring, and chain
- If we suddenly feel especially rich, a full respray

Hopefully this will be interesting for some of you.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
end plugs have to be champagne corks!and what about a basket for the front

plantfit

Guru
Nice unusual project you got yourself, should look good when finished, I agree with Andy Champagne corks for bar ends, it's the little touches that make all the difference

Roger

ps: the cat's name isn't Jesse by any chance?

OP
OP
wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
We have considered cork, but some pics I have seen of them in use look a bit crappy...like someone has stuffed a cork on the end of their handlebar, rather than has a handlebar plug made of cork, if that distinction isn't being too pedantic!

I love Gilles Berthoud's leather handlebar plugs and may venture to try and make something similar.

The cat is Marley (previous keeper's choice). He is a bit of a Jessie at times though.

bobcat

Following casper-d's lead mrs wheres_my_beard and I have taken some steps to rejuvenate her 1980's Royal Mail bike.

This is a work in progress.

This is the "before" picture; we had only changed the handlebars at this point, as the chrome on the original ones was in really bad shape.
DSC00627-1.jpg

So far we have replaced the original hard red handlebar and brake lever grips with some nice soft leather covers, home-made for the princely some of £12.37 (£12 for the leather and 37p for the the thread).

DSC01330.jpg

DSC01328.jpg

DSC01327.jpg

We're not sure what to do for the end plugs just yet, but we love how they've turned out.

We've already found some really a really nice NOS rod brake set to give the brake system a much needed shiney lift. Mrs w_m_b is especially looking forward to (me) getting these on the bike next week when they arrive.

There are loads of other bits and pieces that need doing and I'll update this as they get done:

- Replace tyres (Creme/White 650b tyres, possibly on better condition Westwood rims)
- Replace the saddle (probably a Brooks, probably honey coloured to match the grips)
- Replace the pedals (Shiney rat trap style pedal)
- Remove and possibly replace the mudguards with ones that fit properly
- Replace crank/ chainring, and chain
- If we suddenly feel especially rich, a full respray

Hopefully this will be interesting for some of you.

bobcat

Nice project you have there, incidentally, how did you get the bike? I work for Royal mail and would like a project like this for myself, but the powers that be tell me all old bikes get sent to Africa!

OP
OP
wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Mrs w_m_b's mum's partner works for Royal Mail. He kept the bike in his garage after he was given a van to use for deliveries (about 30 years ago). They never asked for it back (or at least he never gave it back if they did).

There are sometimes old RM bikes on ebay, somtimes refered to as Post Office, or General Post Office or GPO bikes.

This is here is pretty much identical to ours apart from the colour, and has a fantastic crank.

baldycyclist

Über Member
bought one in Liverpool when my "falcon professional" got nicked when I was at Uni.
£15 from a guy on a corner! This was in 1989
Everything worked but the bottom bracket was nacked.
Learned to put up with it.

Then spent the summer doing it up, used it for about 4 years and then lost touch with it.
When I was doing it up I went to get some parts from a Royal Mail cycle repair guy somewhere around Preston - he looked at me as though I had knicked it and would not give me a cartridge for the bottom bracket.

Wish I had it now.

Tough on the hands I seem to remember as you have to hold on really hard and sometimes the grips came off!!!!

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
I'd love to have a vintage gents Royal Mail bike. The trouble is they send them all out to Africa. The people are starving so they give em bicycles. They'd be far better selling them here cheaply and using the proceeds to give food to the Africans or plug the hole in their pension fund or share it between the two.
They take a fair bit of weight and have good panniers racks so it'd be good for carrying tools and materials. I assume they ride quite well also.
Lovely restoration job as well.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I'd love to have a vintage gents Royal Mail bike. The trouble is they send them all out to Africa. The people are starving so they give em bicycles. They'd be far better selling them here cheaply and using the proceeds to give food to the Africans or plug the hole in their pension fund or share it between the two.
They take a fair bit of weight and have good panniers racks so it'd be good for carrying tools and materials. I assume they ride quite well also.
Lovely restoration job as well.

I suppose it is like the old saying:
'Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish an you feed him for life'

Given sturdy transport, with minimal running costs, and a poor person can transport stuff to and from market and fetch clean water from the well 10 miles away and offer a taxi and transport service to the others in the village.

Top Bottom