Only one good tire - where should it go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A few months back I was riding a fire road on my touring bike. I ran over a broken bottle and slashed both tires. I only had enough stuff with me to repair one tire and tube - one replacement tube and a tire boot. Neither tube was patchable. I had a 12 mile ride to the nearest bike shop. I decided to put the one good tire and tube on my rear wheel. Steering was a challenge, especial back on pavement. Would you have put the good tire on the front or back? The bike was fully loaded for touring.

I've since heard that you can tie a knot in a tube. Has anyone tried that? Would it work with a 2" cut in the tube?

At least no genius has suggested that you should have been riding tubeless tyres!

A few months back I was riding a fire road on my touring bike. I ran over a broken bottle and slashed both tires. I only had enough stuff with me to repair one tire and tube - one replacement tube and a tire boot. Neither tube was patchable. I had a 12 mile ride to the nearest bike shop. I decided to put the one good tire and tube on my rear wheel. Steering was a challenge, especial back on pavement. Would you have put the good tire on the front or back? The bike was fully loaded for touring.

I've since heard that you can tie a knot in a tube. Has anyone tried that? Would it work with a 2" cut in the tube?

Put the good tire in front, it is what keep you up right.

Top Bottom