Motivational phrases & sayings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

I've found the amount of garlic recommended in recipes to be about right by and large.
If it calls for a "clove" then this is what I put in

B708AE9C-420E-4B52-8293-83DBD72D671D.jpeg

Some years ago I went for a job interview

They wanted someone for who "good enough" was never good enough and asked my view of this

I think I lost the job because I said that "good enough" was OK in some circumstances
e.g. if you have 20 jobs on your list and they are all urgent then doing each job to perfection means that the next 19 jobs have all had to wait longer than was necessary
It would be important to revisit some of the jobs to get them fully up to standard - but if it is really good enough then it frees you up to start on the next job
I gave as an example a projector in a classroom of the school I was working in - the cable leading to the computer at the front of the class was broken
I COULD have taken the whole projector down and removed the old cable - then threaded a new cable through the support pillar and properly along the trunking
Instead I left the old cable as it was and would a new cable around the outside of the support pillar and just laid it along the trunking loosely - then down the wall to the computer outside the wall trunking
That got the projector working over lunch and lade the classroom fully functional again rather than taking several hours to do the job properly
I could then fix it all properly during the school holidays when I had time and would not interfere with the class.

They were not impressed - they wanted someone who always strived for perfection
I presume they had never had a busy front line job!!!

DRM

Guru

They wanted someone for who "good enough" was never good enough and asked my view of this

I think I lost the job because I said that "good enough" was OK in some circumstances
e.g. if you have 20 jobs on your list and they are all urgent then doing each job to perfection means that the next 19 jobs have all had to wait longer than was necessary
It would be important to revisit some of the jobs to get them fully up to standard - but if it is really good enough then it frees you up to start on the next job
I gave as an example a projector in a classroom of the school I was working in - the cable leading to the computer at the front of the class was broken
I COULD have taken the whole projector down and removed the old cable - then threaded a new cable through the support pillar and properly along the trunking
Instead I left the old cable as it was and would a new cable around the outside of the support pillar and just laid it along the trunking loosely - then down the wall to the computer outside the wall trunking
That got the projector working over lunch and lade the classroom fully functional again rather than taking several hours to do the job properly
I could then fix it all properly during the school holidays when I had time and would not interfere with the class.

Usual b*locks from someone who can’t do the job they’re interviewing for

presta

Guru

When I was young, my first job was a PDS engineer, 'Post Design Services' is essentially is cleaning up after it's all hit the fan: if a design fault surfaced after something had gone into production it was my job to sort it. They said it would be good experience, and it was, it taught me a lot about the time and work that's saved by getting the job right in the first place.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

They are talking nonsense.
Any sensible employer knows time is money. So employees do what ever is the most productive, and perfection is very rarely productive unless you have too much time and not enough work.

They are talking nonsense.
Any sensible employer knows time is money. So employees do what ever is the most productive, and perfection is very rarely productive unless you have too much time and not enough work.

Exactly - but this company liked trite phrases
They also wanted people who see challenges and not problems

idiots

Top Bottom