Interest rates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Just out of interest…I use a Wise account for pretty much all daily banking nowadays.

I get 4.66% on my balance and very good exchange rates so can use the card all over the World.

My Lloyds and Barclays accounts have become almost obsolete.

Wow - I have one of these accounts and wasn't aware of the interest; is that just the standard one?

I've had this for years and certainly can't complain about any of it tbh; as you say excellent rates and will even let you set up currency conversions on the balance when a certain exchange rate is reached, which is something I keep meaning to dip my toe into...

In other news has anyone noticed what's happening with gold? Apparently central banks are buying it all up. Methinks something big is on the horizon that the plebs don't yet know about..

DogmaStu

Wow - I have one of these accounts and wasn't aware of the interest; is that just the standard one?

I've had this for years and certainly can't complain about any of it tbh; as you say excellent rates and will even let you set up currency conversions on the balance when a certain exchange rate is reached, which is something I keep meaning to dip my toe into...

In other news has anyone noticed what's happening with gold? Apparently central banks are buying it all up. Methinks something big is on the horizon that the plebs don't yet know about..

Yep, just the standard account.

Gold and Oil are rising because of US recession fears / no rate cuts and geopolitical issues; Ukraine, Israel, Iran.

Stocks on the NYSE/S&P500/Nasdaq have taken a bit of a tumble in the last week due to the aforementioned concerns so the big hedge fund managers are hoovering up gold; it's what they do when things look a bit shaky, a 'safe haven' for them until things stabilise. So yeah, gold at all time highs at the moment.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Yep, just the standard account.

Gold and Oil are rising because of US recession fears / no rate cuts and geopolitical issues; Ukraine, Israel, Iran.

Stocks on the NYSE/S&P500/Nasdaq have taken a bit of a tumble in the last week due to the aforementioned concerns so the big hedge fund managers are hoovering up gold; it's what they do when things look a bit shaky, a 'safe haven' for them until things stabilise. So yeah, gold at all time highs at the moment.

Cheers - I'll have to take another look at mine and perhaps stuff some money in it then!

Yes, I was assuming those factors re. the gold price. What surprises me however is the fact that all these things have been on the table for quite some time now, with gold remaining pretty stable throughout until the last 6wks or so when it's rocketed. The only time it's seen broadly similar growth was post-Brexit vote and during Covid; both of which were massively influential events and I've not seen any developments of obviously similar magnitude unfolding within the context of the obvious factors at play.

Again, makes me think that some people know something that most of us don't.. yet.

EDIT: Just had a look at the Wise interest; which isn't as straightforward as you'd expect on a current account as it's predicated on the balance actively being invested into funds, with associated risk to capital..

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Just opened 2 Edge Saver a/c's with Santander at very slightly under 7%. Lasts for 1 year.

You have to have an Edge current a/c to be eligible.

Sadly, a maximum of only £4000 allowed but still worth doing as that's £560 for doing nowt but shuffle money about.

Also managed to get £400 (2x£200) for opening and swiftly closing 2 a/c transfers to RBS. These deals are crazy and good old MSE are always onto them like a shot - keep your eyes peeled!

£960 for half an hour of money shuffling effort by Mrs SD.

Top Bottom