Insurance and lock for a bike under £400

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novice2023

Regular
I bought a new Liv Flourish 3 XS bike for £399. So it is not an expensive one and XS frame is probably not very popular.
It will be stored inside a gated estate, outside our house, locked to metal fence around front garden.
The bike will be used for school runs (with bike trailer attached), doing under around 3 miles a day.
Would you recommend getting insurance?
I have a 13-year old Kryptonite Kryptolock Series 2 Sold Secure Silver.
Is this lock good enough or shall I get a new, more modern, more secure lock? If yes, which one would you recommend?

Big T

Guru
Yes, worth getting it insured, all my bikes are insured under my house insurance. I would go for at least a Gold standard lock, there are Diamond standard ones available now. You may find that insurers insist on a certain standard of lock, especially if the bike is kept outside. Kryptonite and OnGuard are good quality, I own both.

adamhearn

Veteran
A bike left outside will deteriorate much faster than one kept indoors in a shed/garage/house.

Leaving a bike outside is also the least safe location but maybe it's fine where you are/it is. I'd go as large/secure as possible (would ideally have two of different styles if possible).

House insurance is a definite.

The question to ask yourself is how much will it cost you?

I suspect you won't get bike-specific theft insurance for a bike locked up in a garden. If you did, it would be a lot.

Maybe you'd be better keeping your Kryptonite lock for runs out and have a really, really strong ground anchor and motorbike chain so you can lock it at two points? D lock through the railings, ground anchor concreted in with the chain. Should be enough to deter anyone without an angle grinder.

vickster

Legendary Member
What about Bikeregister https://www.bikeregister.com/?
Is it worth paying for their bike markings?
I came across Bikeregister via Matin Lewis website.

The Met police often do it for free, no need to pay
https://www.bikeregister.com/events

Bristolian

Is it worth paying for their bike markings? I don't know but you can register your bike for free on-line so I guess that makes it value for money (?) Will it make the bike less attractive to thieves? I doubt it. Will it improve your chances of getting the bike back if its stolen? I have no idea, but I'd like to think so.

Personally, I paid £19.99 for their permanent marking kit and did the job myself. It's easy to do.

vickster

Legendary Member
Locking it to railings in London May not be sufficient for an insurance company whatever the lock unfortunately, call your home insurers and ask, only they’ll know. I’d get a secure and weatherproof Asgard shed fitted in the front garden if possible (check such will be sufficient for the insurers)

Top Bottom