I hate hills, no seriously

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
being a enthusiastic new cyclist I decided to rise at 6.30 am to try a 25 mile ride from telford to much Wenlock to Bridgnorth and back home only to find the ride I had planned was at the start of the shropshire hills. I tried to get up all ascents but alas had to walk (not much) average speed was around 12 mph and at some points legs stopped working. So there you have it who ever decided to put hills there was a very very inconsiderate person.
thanks still loving riding though
dave

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi and welcome :laugh:

You're in good company, regarding your hatred for hills ;).

Good luck with the cycling,
SD

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Cole, stick with it, improvements can be more rapid than you expect. I found it useful to work out my gearing via Sheldon Browns site:-

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

I use the gear inches measurement and my lowest gear is 30 inches, this wasn't enough at first and I had to walk the end of one hill. That was 4 months ago and I can now climb this hill in a 67 inch gear. Admittedly it's not that much of a hill, but it was to me at first. The other bit that's improved rapidly is my recovery time after each hill.

Randochap

Senior hunter
My first long rides (75km or so) were from Wednesfield out through Wolves and Bridgenorth, to Church Stretton way and back. I was 12 the first time I ventured into Shropshire.

Mentioned in this story. I'd say that the South Shropshire Hills launched my lifelong passion for cycling and hill climbing in particular. Seriously!

Stick with it.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Hello and :biggrin:.

IMHO There is no shame in having to push the bike up a steep hill (especially in the early days).

There are a few accepted techniques for hill climbing but I believe all agree that you should keep your body weight forward and select a low gear (just before you begin the ascent).

Stick at it and before long you will look back at the afore mentioned hill with amazement that it caused you a problem :biggrin:

Cranky

Hill climbing is partly technique, partly fitness, but it will definitely improve with time.

I get bored very quickly nowadays on flat terrain!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Hi Dave and welcome, I’m 58 and have emphysema and climbing hills is a real pain for me I do have a triple gear set and when climbing I have to use the granny gear and go up at 3-4 mph as I refuse to get off and walk, the day I have to walk the day my bikes go on e-bay so just keep trying and don’t give up

montage

God Almighty
I actually enjoy the challenge of hills.... after a few months of cycling, recovery after each hill becomes far quicker, the pain becomes controlable and your speed up them will definately increase.

Nice one for starting up the sport, just keep hitting them hills!
Best of luck

yenrod

colessurfer said:
being a enthusiastic new cyclist I decided to rise at 6.30 am to try a 25 mile ride from telford to much Wenlock to Bridgnorth and back home only to find the ride I had planned was at the start of the shropshire hills. I tried to get up all ascents but alas had to walk (not much) average speed was around 12 mph and at some points legs stopped working. So there you have it who ever decided to put hills there was a very very inconsiderate person.
thanks still loving riding though
dave

Cole - try doing some general riding prior to doing this hence the fact that you had to walk on the hills / ave. speed etc...

Top Bottom