How to behave when a big group of fast cyclists catches up with you.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cake stops are fine - but I find that after a ride of any kind (and I am talking about an ebike on canal paths here!) if I stop then getting my legs and lungs going again is a pain and the longer the stop the worse it is
So I tend to go for a quick apple and a can of coke half way round for only a few minutes while standing up - cake stops are normally done when nearly home!

My group used to do evening rides mid week. Each ride stops a couple of miles at most from the meet up point for a stop before the end. It's usually a pub though. The final mile isn't a quick one!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
suspect they were a team training or top local club riders

Nah, probably the local CTC slow group 😳

PK99

Legendary Member
I am not sure what I could have done differently here, as I have no experience of riding with such groups. Any advice in case I find myself in the same situation again?

Too many of the comments focus on criticising the Group Riders, rather than, as requested, giving you helpful advice.

In that exact circumstance, my practice is to give the conventional "Slowing" signal.

riding-hand-signals-slowing.jpg

This might also be of interest.

https://road.cc/content/feature/know-your-group-riding-signals-and-calls-265501

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Thank you, that was my take, but it sounded like they expected me to behave as part of the group. They seemed to be riding in a very tight bunch, and I think me stopping nearly caused some of them to hit the deck. Is there a signal that I might have given to avoid the confusion?

Yes.

Too many of the comments focus on criticising the Group Riders, rather than, as requested, giving you helpful advice.

In that exact circumstance, my practice is to give the conventional "Slowing" signal.

View attachment 728942

This might also be of interest.

https://road.cc/content/feature/know-your-group-riding-signals-and-calls-265501

I have never been, nor will I ever, be part of a cycling club or ride in such an environment.

While I can see the benefit of the range of hand signals to those who do ride in clubs I have absolutely no intention of learning them for the negligible number of times I have been passed by such a group (just once in my cycling lifetime). I might use the slowing down or turn signals out of courtesy, but they will be much more used to overtaking solo cyclists and should be aware of the factors involved.

dicko

Guru
On our family camping/cycling trips to France we regularly came across large groups of French cyclists. They always greeted our little family group with waves, shouts and smile's they were very polite. When we pulled in for refreshments and they were resting too always they were interested in us being British, goodness knows what they were talking about?

Top Bottom