Home D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
As usual, a simple painting job has rather escalated

View attachment 728112

View attachment 728114

Made a couple of bits to fit, but not quite sure how to fix them in place: maybe dowels, or (stainless) screws at 45 degrees; or perhaps metal plates in saw cuts?

CB9765F3-4D08-4B9C-BB2C-393F7C98A947.jpeg

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
I can't really claim any credit but we had a new boiler and HW tank fitted maybe 18 months ago (by an independent highly recommended installer) but just occasionally, the CH comes on by itself !!!!
Son is a qualified gas engineer and it has him stumped, partly because he's often not been here when it's happened...and when he has, he hasn't had the right tools to diagnose.
That said, the firing sequence is understood so it kinda nails it down. He suspects some stray voltage from the motorised valve controls, he's seen it before at work but never with Veissman boilers. Something like because 3 ports aren't spring return, it can cause problems when they get stuck.
So, 'we' converted the 3 port system to a seperate valve/motor each for HW and CH, installed a new power centre (basically the electrical hub/ connection box, just in case there was something in there. Also gave a fresh dose of anti inhibitor for good measure, even though the water in the system came out really clean.

Sit back now and hope that's cured a very intermittent annoying problem.

newts

Veteran
I can't really claim any credit but we had a new boiler and HW tank fitted maybe 18 months ago (by an independent highly recommended installer) but just occasionally, the CH comes on by itself !!!!
Son is a qualified gas engineer and it has him stumped, partly because he's often not been here when it's happened...and when he has, he hasn't had the right tools to diagnose.
That said, the firing sequence is understood so it kinda nails it down. He suspects some stray voltage from the motorised valve controls, he's seen it before at work but never with Veissman boilers. Something like because 3 ports aren't spring return, it can cause problems when they get stuck.
So, 'we' converted the 3 port system to a seperate valve/motor each for HW and CH, installed a new power centre (basically the electrical hub/ connection box, just in case there was something in there. Also gave a fresh dose of anti inhibitor for good measure, even though the water in the system came out really clean.

Sit back now and hope that's cured a very intermittent annoying problem.

S plan (2 motorised valves) is easier to diagnose faults than y plan (3 port single motorised valve that controls both heating & hot water).

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
S plan (2 motorised valves) is easier to diagnose faults than y plan (3 port single motorised valve that controls both heating & hot water).

In a nutshell, yes. Son advised me, you still get problems with 2 valves, if one gets stuck open (which is quite common with scale around the spindle), you'll get heat going to that area when you shouldn't..,but as you say, it's easy to diagnose.

All this because I 'thought' we could get away with just a new boiler and HW tank, the controls (hive, valves, wiring centre) were old but seemingly functional...apparently it was a short cut that slightly backfired.

icowden

Veteran
Made a couple of bits to fit, but not quite sure how to fix them in place: maybe dowels, or (stainless) screws at 45 degrees; or perhaps metal plates in saw cuts?
Or just glue and filler?

Maybe it's the season for it. I went to help my father in law repaint the wooden surrounds of his stained glass windows (he has a sort of dormer roof bit on his cottage). On rubbing down we discovered that a section of the window frame was completely rotten. Cue a lot of scraping, chisling and cutting and then cutting of bits of wood to fit. We went with glue and wood fill followed by some work with the detail sander. Window looks nice now!

On return to chez moi, I then went to refit the a couple of front panels to my decking. When I lifted them, most of the wood stayed where it was. Now cutting and fitting new decking. I'm getting a bit fed up now with rotten wood...

Last edited:
Top Bottom