Hi from bonny Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

loosethebelly

Hi all,

Thought I would say a quick hello. The spring is upon us so I have decided to make a serious effort to get into cycling. Currently have two bikes in the garage grossly underused. Both are quite old and not sure they are suitable for purpose, well the mountain bike certainly is not.

I have an old Edinburgh Cycle Coop Continental bike that I have had a few years and never really used. The problem is it only has the 7 gears and I definitely feel I need more. I live in Shetland with a good degree of wind and quite a few hills. I don't know whether I can adapt this bike by adding additional front cog (or whatever they are called!!)? Bar the gear issue it is a fine sized light bike for me.

I would mainly be using the bike for commutes (10 miles) and maybe a bit of touring/fitness work.

Welcome :tongue:
To get an extra gear you'll need to change the shifters, derailleurs an the cassette, it just isn't worth it. After a while you'll find yourself cycling in one or two gears anyway. What is a wee bit cheaper you can change your rear cassette for a larger one to gain a lower gear and if it isn't too big a step I don't think you'll need to change any more.

OP
OP
L

loosethebelly

thanks for the welcome guys.

The problem with lack of gears is a problem on the flat, I cannot cycle fast enough for it to actually have an impact. Not so much of a problem going uphill!

ACS

Legendary Member
OK my secret is out I am dyslexic,[:smile:] cannot spell and cannot even read back my own posts correctly but hey it does not stop me from being a convicted troll ;)

ACS

Legendary Member
Dayvo said:
In that case, you are excused! :smile:

Shetland is that bunch of islands that the Norwegians gave away by mistake, I believe.

I am obliged and I promise to read all your posts backwards as it's the only way I can be sure not to miss your wise words.

;)

Top Bottom