"Giz a Croggy!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We were explaining to some foreigners yesterday what a Croggy was. In Leicestershire t's a ride on the crossbar but someone else claimed that down south its a ride on the handlebars.

It got me wondering about other cycling slang and colloquialisums (SP?)

One that has been lost for around a century is the term 'Jigger' for a clubmans bike.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Flattie?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Keith Oates said:
I've been known to say "Do you want a ride on my crossbar"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith, that sounds as corny as "How do you like your eggs in the morning"*

*Stock reply if not keen, being "unfertilised, thank you...."

I'd call it a croggy, but then I'm also from Leicester. Funnily enough, I saw two croggies while out riding yesterday, and another this morning, a positive rash of them

Once saw three lads on one BMX - one on saddle, on on pedals, pedaling, and one sitting on the handlebars. You may not approve, but you have to admire the guy pedaling and steering, for his handling skills!

i've only heard of a bakkie for being on the saddle while someone stands to pedal

Brains

Legendary Member
Hilldodger said:
One that has been lost for around a century is the term 'Jigger' for a clubmans bike.

"Expensive" bikes were built professionally with a Jig.

Home built bikes, which most people had, were built out of gas pipe.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
ianrauk said:
Being from Daaan Saaarf, never heard of Croggy, we also called it a 'backie'

I'm not from darn sarf, but always called it a 'backie' too. Thems were the days!!!! :?:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Uninspiringly, we called a ride on the crossbar a "crossie", and a ride on the seat a "backie" or a "seatie" (this was dahn sarf, where I was brought up)

We were explaining to some foreigners yesterday what a Croggy was. In Leicestershire t's a ride on the crossbar but someone else claimed that down south its a ride on the handlebars.

It got me wondering about other cycling slang and colloquialisums (SP?)

Top Bottom