GONE: Woodrup 54cm frameset plus some parts - frame has a cracked chainstay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Last month I acquired a couple of bikes plus other bike parts from an estate sale on eBay. One of those was the Trek mentioned on here previously. This is the second and was the main reason for bidding. Unfortunately it has frame damage that’s beyond my point of interest.

It’s a late 1970’s Woodrup, possibly from 1979, and is 531 tubing. Has been raced in the UK and Australia in the late 70’s/early 80’s. 54cm frame size with faded red paint that’s still reddish in parts, pinkish in others. Seatpost moves and has been re-greased and the bottom bracket seems OK. The forks are OK but it has three issues:

• The main one is a hole in the drive-side chainstay plus a crack that goes three-quarters of the way round, as photographed. A sleeve or other welding may fix it, otherwise it’ll need a new chainstay. This thread has comments that may help.
  • The Shimano 600 Arabesque downtube shifters work but have a seized bolt, which could be cut off.
  • I can’t remove the Cinelli stem. It may be seized but force hasn’t been applied.
Would anyone like the frameset to attempt a repair? Please don't ask if you're just going to strip the forks/gears and dump the rest; I could do that but would prefer someone who's going to try and repair it. Collection preferred from Dewsbury, WF12 rather than posting.

PXL_20240504_125422166.jpg

PXL_20240421_145448370.jpg

PXL_20240421_145501365.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Such a shame

silva

Über Member
The frame crack on the second pic looks like a chainring cutted a while in it, look at the vertical ridge, weakening the tube, to then crack. The tube wall must have been worn thinner over a length.
When space is available, one could weld a plate over it, but if there was already lack of clearance, the chainring space could be voided even more. That frame location limits the options.

Top Bottom