FB Marketplace Etiquette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I generally do a quick audit on the early responders, anyone local and appears genuine, i.e. has a facebook profile as opposed to nothing appearing, gets bumped up the queue, as do those who can collect quickly, and no-one has dibs until its collected.

I will sometime respond, "well supposed to be collected tonight, but if it falls thru will let you know" to keep people "warm"

I did deliver a bookcase on Sunday as it was only 1.5 miles up the road and it fits in my estate car, but wouldnt in a lot of cars. It makes me laugh when you say can deliver in immediate local area, and then someone says can you deliver to a town 80 miles away. What for a £20 bookcase???

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Our FB profile is very space and very private. It doesn't mean anything with us just that we don't use FB except to sell the odd item on marketplace. You could be filtering out the genuine with the timewasters.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Our FB profile is very space and very private. It doesn't mean anything with us just that we don't use FB except to sell the odd item on marketplace. You could be filtering out the genuine with the timewasters.

It wont suggest you live a zillion miles away from the item though, and your profile wont have been created yesterday, which was more the point.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I reply to everyone in order and ask them to agree a time and date. The first to arrange a time gets first dibs. I only give the area first, not the address, and I tell them to text me when they are leaving their home/work and I text address. I then mark as pending, and text the other people to say it's being picked up but I will text them if the first people don't show. It is a hassle if there's a lot of interest, but I believe in being fair. If the person shows up, it's a cash or bank transfer and then I mark the item as sold and delete the ad (and the message group) from FB.

If someone 3rd or 4th in the queue offers full price and says they will turn up NOW, then I sometimes let it go to them. Depends how much I want rid of the item and how much I've been messed around beforehand. but I'll always text everyone to say it's sold. The very worst thing that could happen is that someone thinks they've won an item but then loses out. I don't think that's unreasonable on the odd occasion.

I would say that out of the last 10 things I've sold, I was only messed around once or twice. most people seem ok, but yes I do ignore the ones who can't be polite. I do respond to those who say "is this still available" with a "yes it is" and leave the ball in their court.

Once I was giving a way 2 sofas for free, in very good condition. A lady arranged to pick them up, after I explained that I'm altering my plans to meet her at home, and she never showed, nor apologised.

On the other hand, I once got a free sideboard/dresser for free, and they delivered it to me for free because they already had a van on hire

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It wont suggest you live a zillion miles away from the item though, and your profile wont have been created yesterday, which was more the point.

If it's high value then I have entertained buyers from miles away. I sold my motorbike a few years back an a chap in Manchester offered full price (I live in Plymouth). My reckoning was that he wouldn't drive all the way from Manchester and then haggle - so it was a done deal for me. He arrived in a van, handed me money, test rode the bike and crashed it, then took it home :wacko:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If it's high value then I have entertained buyers from miles away. I sold my motorbike a few years back an a chap in Manchester offered full price (I live in Plymouth). My reckoning was that he wouldn't drive all the way from Manchester and then haggle - so it was a done deal for me. He arrived in a van, handed me money, test rode the bike and crashed it, then took it home :wacko:

Yes I had a couple come over from Germany to Buy a Nissan Figaro (although that was autotrader) I felt in a pretty strong position to stand my ground on price. They drove away but called me 30 minutes later and was back within the hour at my price.....I think his Mrs had told him he was being too stubborn!!

Top Bottom