Electrical Surge Woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Recently I bought an electric chainsaw. It's rated at 2kW so 8-9 amps I think. The circuit I plug it into has a 16A MCB protection at the Consumer Unit and yes that's correct as it is on a spur. However the MCB does trip out sometimes (but not always) on startup. Is there some sort of start up surge protection I can fit which will suppress the surge such that the MCB won't trip? It's a bleeping nuisance. I could run an extension cable from a 32A MCB protected ring main circuit but Mrs 26 would complain of cold draughts through open doors.

the snail

Guru
One thing you can try is plugging into a coiled up extension lead.

D

Deleted member 26715

One thing you can try is plugging into a coiled up extension lead.
I have no idea but that does not sound like a good idea to me, I once inadvertently used a welder with a coiled up extension lead, it melted all together.

You could probably change the MCB for a slow blow one that is not the technical term, but it won't trip immediately it allows a small amount of time before blowing. Is it s well known manufacture? If so it might be worth contacting technical support & explaining the issue, it might be a faulty unit.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Thanks all. No letter on my MCB. It's one of these
1580555324414.png
. I'll off to the supplier and ask.

I had been running it on a coiled up extension lead (purely for ease and not as a fix) but that started to trip the RCD and turn the whole house off. So the extension lead needs a look see too.

Thanks gang :okay:

bruce1530

Guru
Disclaimer: speak to a qualified electrician. A sensible one if you can find one.

Type 1 MCBs are obsolete - the new common classifications are types B/C/D. A new “Type B” is broadly similar electrically to a “Type 1”.

For loads which are moderately inductive (ie motors) a type C is more appropriate,

Disclaimer: see disclaimer above.

Sorry snail, but this is very poor advice! Coiled extension leads have a much lower rating than uncoiled leads, and, as @Phaeton alluded to, has a very real danger of causing a fire.
I have never had problems using a coiled up extension lead. Every time you take your finger off the trigger the motor stops. It is stopped far more than it's running as I am loading wood onto a saw horse, start chainsaw 2 cuts, chainsaw stops, load more, etc. Then load wheelbarrow move to woodstore and stack. Doubt it is running for a quarter of the time I am using it.

Top Bottom