Dangerous or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PedallingNowhereSlowly

I love to see people using bikes in their every day lives - especially when they are not dressed up in a load of special gear which infers it is so dangerous.

The misconceptions about helmets and high viz I'm sure contribute to the 'othering' of cyclists and harms the perception of cycling.

Last edited:
I don't always wear him Vis but always try to wear something bright (or with reflectives if night).

I don't actually think it makes much difference in practice. I worked in an office near a fire station and a junction for 13 years and you would be amazed at how many times people pulled out into the path of a bright red fire engine with sirens and flashing blue lights.

I happened to be wearing his Vis when I got hit. I also happened to be riding my winter bike with hub dynamo and 70 lux LED light to German traffic standards. It was in daylight when I got hit.

It highlights that all the lights and visibility aids are useless if the driver isn't paying attention.
Well exactly!

If that means I need to wear bright reflective clothing to ride my bike, then so be it.
You don't need to. That's exactly what you showed in your testimony above!

Alex321

Veteran
Sorry I don't understand the logic of your straw man applying to cyclists but not pedestrians.

Go and find out what a straw man is, because you clearly don't have a clue there.
There's a very fine line between 'preventing mistakes by others' and abdication of others responsibility.
It's not up to me, as a pedestrian or as a cyclist, to make drivers drive safely.

Correct. But then I don't think anybody has suggested otherwise.

Top Bottom