chain keeps jumping.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TAV

Guru
Hi i took my alan racing bike out today for the first time today because the weather was good and i noticed that the chain kept changing when i was putting pressure on the pedals up hill.

In the end i walked the bike home ive looked at the chain and cassett and it all looks good but i noticed that the down tube levers didnt click when you moved them they just floated so when i moved they with tension i think they are moving down on they're own is that why they are jumping can anybody help.

Attachments

• DSCF1182.JPG
    DSCF1182.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 43

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
As you can see below practically all vintage downtube friction shifters have these wingnut things (at worst adjustable by a screwdriver as in the case of the bottom right one) at the outer extremes, which you can tighten just so that the lever is not too stiff to shift, while stiff enough for the lever to stay put.

shifters1.jpg

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
As you can see below practically all vintage downtube friction shifters have these wingnut things (at worst adjustable by a screwdriver as in the case of the bottom right one) at the outer extremes, which you can tighten just so that the lever is not too stiff to shift, while stiff enough for the lever to stay put.

shifters1.jpg
do you think if i tighten them up it will solve the problem i would like to get some nice campag ones but i have a 9 speed cassett will it make a difference .

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
do you think if i tighten them up it will solve the problem i would like to get some nice campag ones but i have a 9 speed cassett will it make a difference .

Chance is good that adjusting the wingnuts will solve your problem.

Based on shift ratio data, I would expect vintage Campag friction levers, which I have, capable of pulling more than enough cable for Campag and Shimano rear mechs to traverse any number of sprockets at the back. However, while I haven't tried I very much doubt that they pull enough cable for modern Sram rear mechs with their 1:1 or Exact pull ratio requirements.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Chance is good that adjusting the wingnuts will solve your problem.

Based on shift ratio data, I would expect vintage Campag friction levers, which I have, capable of pulling more than enough cable for Campag and Shimano rear mechs to traverse any number of sprockets at the back. However, while I haven't tried I very much doubt that they pull enough cable for modern Sram rear mechs with their 1:1 or Exact pull ratio requirements.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Ive got simplex levers on at the moment but yesterday i tryed to adjust the levers and ended up rounding the alan key hole do you have a set of campag for sale cheers.The rear mec i have is a old camp super record will it be ok.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Ive got simplex levers on at the moment but yesterday i tryed to adjust the levers and ended up rounding the alan key hole do you have a set of campag for sale cheers.The rear mec i have is a old camp super record will it be ok.

I am running my levers with 1982 super record rear mech - they are made for each other :thumbsup:. Sorry I don't have a pair for sale but they are commonly available on ebay - I can see no less than 10 pairs for sale!

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Ive got super record rear mech and chain set record front mech do u recomend getting record down tube levers and how do u know what year your camp is im after camp aero levers but they dont come up often on ebay.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Ive got super record rear mech and chain set record front mech do u recomend getting record down tube levers and how do u know what year your camp is im after camp aero levers but they dont come up often on ebay.

If you didn't buy it from new for approx period info try this. For example this lists most if not all the relevant levers since 60's.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
THATS A GREAT WEBB THANKS A LOT BUT IT DOESNT SHOW ANY CAMP LEVERS THAT GO TO 9 SPEED AM I BETTER OFF GETTING A 8 SPEED.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's late now and I am busy on a forum ride tomorrow but I have an old pair of Campagnolo shifters somewhere. I'll try and find them on Monday morning and will report back! They came off a bike which commemorated Saronni's 1982 World Championship road race win at Goodwood so they probably date to 1983. I also have the derailleurs somewhere. Is this kind of stuff worth much? :whistle:

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
ITS ALL DOWN TO CONDITION BUT IM ONLY AFTER THE SHIFTERS IVE ALREADY GOT A DERAILLEUR CAN YOU TRY AND GET SOME PHOTOS SO I CAN SEE THE CON CHEERS ANYWAY.

Top Bottom