Bikes on a train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scragend

well when I contacted the help line they were also useless not correcting my impression only saying " we will keep that in mind when we get new trains"

They seem to keep very few things in mind when they get new trains - usable bike spaces and comfortable seats were just two of the things that they forgot this time!

Just to add my two penn'orth to what others have said, yes a 700c wheel does fit in the bike hangers unless it's a very deep rim. But the hangers are a faff to manoeuvre said bike into and out of.

At least on GWR the cupboards are (in my experience) kept open. On LNER they keep them locked and the staff need to open them for you - which can be a problem when you get to your arrival station and there is no one there to let you off.

Baldy

Über Member
At least on GWR the cupboards are (in my experience) kept open. On LNER they keep them locked and the staff need to open them for you - which can be a problem when you get to your arrival station and there is no one there to let you off.

If I didn't know better, I'd say it almost looks like they're trying to discourage people from travelling with bike!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If I didn't know better, I'd say it almost looks like they're trying to discourage people from travelling with bike!

If you aren't getting on at the start of the train, they sometimes lock them so the cupboard doesn't get full of unbooked on bikes buggies, suitcases etc.

I've been both met with cheery guard on boarding showing us where the cupboard is, and just been left to get on with it, but never just a locked cupboard and no guard, but t will vary a lot between operators.

scragend

If you aren't getting on at the start of the train, they sometimes lock them so the cupboard doesn't get full of unbooked on bikes buggies, suitcases etc.

I've been both met with cheery guard on boarding showing us where the cupboard is, and just been left to get on with it, but never just a locked cupboard and no guard, but t will vary a lot between operators.

I've encountered a locked cupboard and no guard when leaving an LNER train on two occasions. On both occasions I had to collar a passing member of railway staff on the platform and get them to use their T-key to open it for me. The first time was at King's Cross so it wasn't too bad because it's a terminus, but on the other occasion on a through service at Leeds it was a bit more worrying.

grumpydad

It's a guarantee in the sense that a seat reservation guarantees a seat and if it doesn't happen, then you get some concessions about travelling on a replacement train or alternative transport, as long as you give the crew chance to throw an intruder out of the space.

European trains aren't universally great for bikes. They range from more space than is usually needed for free (some French and German regionals) or paid (most Belgian InterCity trains) through limited off-peak first-come unreservable (Dutch) to total pains in the bum needing dismantling (Spanish, some French and German high-speed).

So what happens if you turn up with your bike and there's no space, are you expected to hang around until they can fit you in at some point in their schedule,

presta

Guru
Not GWR but I have booked bikes on Greater Anglia on arrival at a station, shortly before the train arrives there, after it had started its journey.
I was always led to believe that booking a space is not possible after the train leaves it's starting point. It's 15 years since I last biked by train though.
The issue started when that nice couple started unloading at Newcastle, meaning I couldn't get near my bikes until they gathered everything and left, then I'm sure you could see the colour drain from my face as I realised I couldn't get my bike back off the hook.
A panic I once had was when I had to take the panniers off to get the bike on and off the train. Having put the bike on the platform, I then had to fight against the tide of tutting people who all think I'm an impatient idiot who can't wait for the to get off, hoping that the train doesn't take me further up the line before I can get back off again.
the hangers are a faff to manoeuvre said bike into and out of.

At Euston I got off the train and went to the guards van only to find the staff had all gone off duty and left my bike locked inside. Another cyclist who had a bike in there went off looking for someone whilst I waited anxiously by the door for ages.

So what happens if you turn up with your bike and there's no space
The only time I ever had that happen was also the only time I ever booked a bike space in advance. (Paddington to Penzance back in the days before the Hitachi Azuma made bikes a PITA.) Mine got a rack space, but I think another bike was just wedged in between the others.

Slick

Guru
I was always led to believe that booking a space is not possible after the train leaves it's starting point. It's 15 years since I last biked by train though.

A panic I once had was when I had to take the panniers off to get the bike on and off the train. Having put the bike on the platform, I then had to fight against the tide of tutting people who all think I'm an impatient idiot who can't wait for the to get off, hoping that the train doesn't take me further up the line before I can get back off again.

At Euston I got off the train and went to the guards van only to find the staff had all gone off duty and left my bike locked inside. Another cyclist who had a bike in there went off looking for someone whilst I waited anxiously by the door for ages.

The only time I ever had that happen was also the only time I ever booked a bike space in advance. (Paddington to Penzance back in the days before the Hitachi Azuma made bikes a PITA.) Mine got a rack space, but I think another bike was just wedged in between the others.

They certainly don't make it easy, do they?

Top Bottom