Anyone know anything about (mini) palm trees?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The one in E's London garden proved resistant to saw, glyphosate and stump-killer. They're still going strong on the south-west coast.
You can’t grind them out either.
I had a stump grinder to remove an ash tree.
The operator said they are almost impossible to grind out as they turn into a string pulp and clog the teeth.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I’ve got a few of these cordyline through our garden . Got 4 mature ones , in our front garden. Flower each year . Seem to be ok up here in Scotland. I did see a video on FB of a gardener , advising that if they do die , cut down till you get to a hard bit again . They should start growing again .

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Show us a picture in a few months. I had 44 years in commercial ornamental horticulture and this is a new event for me.

Sitting out here with a cup of tea it suddenly occurs to me I never did. Well,

photo_2024-05-19_17-06-52.jpg

Oh, and those 'strange little shoots'?...

photo_2024-05-19_17-07-10.jpg

:smile:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've got a cordyline too. It used to be a two trunker, both about head height-ish. Last summer the right hand side on didnt do much at all having seemingly suffered over 23-23 winter, but did squirt out a very weedy set f leaves towards the end of last summer. The LHS one was decent, although was shedding leave from the boootm of the clump more quickly than normal and then set out it usual flower spike straight out of the top of the trunk, rather than its usual out to the side. Taht seemed to finish it off at the top and it went quite soft, but then it statrt sending out shot from the base.

This spring I've cut off about half of the shoot leaving just the strongest ones and yesterday I've trimmed of the rotten upper trunks, so i will see how it regenerates itself. Its certainly looking healthier than it did last year"
1000020672.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom