Anyone Cycled in Shetland and Orkney?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Depending on your interest in Wildlife, it might be worth joining the 'Shetland Orca Sightings' group on Facebook. They make postings of Orca sightings and it's usually possibly to predict where they will be - either on the West or East of the Shetland mainland and heading North or South - the group members usually state the direction in which the Orcas are headed. They tend to stick very close to the shore, as they like to pick off unwary seals and they can be seen in the most unlikely places, including Lerwick harbour.
My friend runs the sightings group. They're having some fantastic sightings at the minute. Humpbacks as well as orca!

Solocle

Über Member
How does one get in through the wall, though? :laugh:
_101801049_shetlandbox.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I’’m a bit scared to go to Shetland… too many murders for my liking and now Perez has retired and it’s up interim DS Tosh to solve the case, I don’t fancy my chances. 😂

There is that. Be particularly wary when the locals are building a giant statue made of straw

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the info.

I was thinking of visiting both in the same trip, so perhaps Scrabster - Stromness, then Kirwall - Lerwick and return?

The tandem splits in 2, so will be in the car.

I found one pothole on mainland Shetland just about where the top photo I posted was taken.
If you go Lerwick to either Kirkwall or Aberdeen it is interesting to see Fair Isle if the weather is good and the skipper goes close enough. They sometimes put out a message to look out for it.
Note that if you go back to Kirkwall you arrive about midnight and if going north from there you may have to reverse a long way to get on board about midnight. I have seen some incompetents but the crew are very patient.
If going to Aberdeen you arrive very early morning and easy access to the A90.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My friend runs the sightings group. They're having some fantastic sightings at the minute. Humpbacks as well as orca!

We were on the Gill's bay ferry to (correction St Margarets and there was an Orca in Pentland Firth. Sadly I was the wrong side of the boat so missed it.

On another trip was on the dive boat (rather than actually in the water diving) and we saw a basking shark; a huge plankton eater maybe 30 foot long. An extremely impressive creature indeed

Last edited:

albion

Guru
I was a regular for both. For a 1st time Orkney is certainly more recommended for its vast Neolithic history, best toured by bike.
I also recommend the John OGroats ferry in order to cycle the Churchill Barriers. Of course, if you have time, do both.

Lack of midges for both islands is a bonus.

pubrunner

Legendary Member

If it's Hugh H, I know of him; I think that he lives near my sister, who has a house in Quendale, overlooking the bay - they actually had a pod of Orcas in Quendale Bay today. and it seems that they made a successful kill. (Hugh was probably there; he certainly turned up for a previous pod that arrived in early July; they gave him a brew in their kitchen). Wish I was there now.

robjh

Legendary Member
We were in both Shetland and Orkney in 2022 in the motorhome, with my bike on the back, and loved both of them, although after Shetland, Orkney can feel tame and very small.
I had some some great rides, though there are downsides - lots of weather (constant wind, frequent rain) and the fact that they're islands means a lot of dead-end roads and loops to do any distance, as well as some steep hills on the most scenic little roads.

Shetland is bigger and has many corners that feel remote, although some of the main roads radiating from Lerwick can be surprisingly busy. Do try and get to the northern islands of Yell and Unst, which is easily done on frequent ferries. The views of bare moorland and coasts throughout the archipelago can be magnificent.

On Orkney, the main road from Stromness to Kirkwall is busy but few others are. The ride to South Ronaldsay over the Churchill Barriers is a must, as is the north west to Birsay and Skara Brae (and Ring of Brodgar in the centre, though you'll be dodging tour coaches). A day on Hoy is good too. I didn't visit the other islands - some sounded appealing but they are very small and wouldn't offer much cycling.

This is as far as you can go
20220530 (84) Skaw most northerly road.jpg

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I was a regular for both. For a 1st time Orkney is certainly more recommended for its vast Neolithic history, best toured by bike.
I also recommend the John OGroats ferry in order to cycle the Churchill Barriers. Of course, if you have time, do both.

Lack of midges for both islands is a bonus.

Is the John o’ Groats ferry still going? I heard they were retiring.
I dispute the lack of midges statement.

albion

Guru
Is the John o’ Groats ferry still going? I heard they were retiring.
I dispute the lack of midges statement.
I have never been there in peak and for that matter, when there was very little wind.
Seems the ferry business is up for 'sail' . The high price they want hints it might start again May. I suspect the problem is the competing big ferry at St Margarets Hope.

Edit - a useful attractions map. https://pentlandferries.co.uk/orkney-map/

Last edited:
Top Bottom