3 x CTC clear plastic bike bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Hi, anyone got any decent CTC plastic bike bags for sale? I can't find any in stock online at the moment anywhere and I need three. Thanks in advance for any help.

(I don't need any advice about whether or not these are good bike bags,I know the score!)

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
@Cathryn , just wondering if you managed to source any CTC clear plastic bike bags?
A friend of mine is wanting 2 and they don’t seem to be available anymore?

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
No!!

We ended up going to our local mattress retailers and asking nicely (I took my teen with me) and they gave us three bags that did perfectly. We folded them up so they took up very little space, they weighed nothing and then we got them out the panniers at the airport. It was a triumph. No damage to the bikes either. (We just needed to buy tape).

robjh

Legendary Member
No!!

We ended up going to our local mattress retailers and asking nicely (I took my teen with me) and they gave us three bags that did perfectly. We folded them up so they took up very little space, they weighed nothing and then we got them out the panniers at the airport. It was a triumph. No damage to the bikes either. (We just needed to buy tape).

Can I ask what airline and airport you were using? I found even 10+ years ago that some operators were unhappy with the CTC clear bags, and a lot insist on boxing.

Emanresu

PM Sent

Patty1961

Hi do you have any more to sell? I ripped mine on a recent trip and my daughter would like one too. Mine was accepted on the trip out from London but on the return journey they insisted on a box. I was told it was to do with the airport scanner rather than the airline itself. Seems they don’t sell the bags anywhere now. I realise this is a very old thread I’m replying to.

classic33

Leg End Member
Hi do you have any more to sell? I ripped mine on a recent trip and my daughter would like one too. Mine was accepted on the trip out from London but on the return journey they insisted on a box. I was told it was to do with the airport scanner rather than the airline itself. Seems they don’t sell the bags anywhere now. I realise this is a very old thread I’m replying to.
Have you any bed shops near you?
The bags they use for the mattresses are similar to the bike bags.

Patty1961

Have you any bed shops near you?
The bags they use for the mattresses are similar to the bike bags.

If I can’t source a CTC bag then that will be the next option to try. At least I have plenty of time to sort something out, I just imagined the mattress bags to be even bigger, on my trip I optimistically carried the bag around with me hoping it would be acceptable on the way back. BA required a padded bag or box and the CTC bag combined with bubble wrap underneath around the derailleurs etc was fine. Coming back Vueling just said “well packed” but it was the airport rather than the airline that insisted on a box. It was good to learn that boxes can be bought at some airports though. I guess a mattress bag could be chucked away on arrival if I know I can buy a box for the return

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
If I can’t source a CTC bag then that will be the next option to try. At least I have plenty of time to sort something out, I just imagined the mattress bags to be even bigger, on my trip I optimistically carried the bag around with me hoping it would be acceptable on the way back. BA required a padded bag or box and the CTC bag combined with bubble wrap underneath around the derailleurs etc was fine. Coming back Vueling just said “well packed” but it was the airport rather than the airline that insisted on a box. It was good to learn that boxes can be bought at some airports though. I guess a mattress bag could be chucked away on arrival if I know I can buy a box for the return

We carried 3 mattress bags on our trip last summer, one per person. They folded up really small and weighed nothing. Genuinely not a burden!

Top Bottom